Anna Hergert, Art & Design

Took the ‘Hound’ to ‘The Hat’… and back!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Yes, I did it: I took the Greyhound to Medicine Hat last Friday for my second workshop weekend this April. I did not miss the security check we undergo when flying, the trip to the bus depot was half the time of what it it takes to the airport. Once I settled into my seat I had ample space to pull out my computer to review my digital presentation for that evening. The weather was improving also – everything was positive and foreshadowed the way the rest of the weekend would turn out!

The “Innovative Connections” trunk show and digital presentation was well attended. We had to bring out a few more chairs than anticipated and guild members lingered for questions and a closer inspection of the trunk show while enjoying refreshments.

Janice, my hostess for the weekend, welcomed me into her home and I immediately felt at ease. We talked quilts, books and life! The fact that she has connections to Moose Jaw might have helped as well.

Saturday and Sunday were completely devoted to teaching and learning. I knew I would have a full class, with a spacious community hall, large tables and chairs for everyone I was able to accommodate 20 students, four more than my regular class size. Everyone jumped in with both feet – they had followed my instruction to “pack an open mind” with the rest of their supplies for “Layers of Intrigue”, one of my most popular workshops. My personal theory is: The majority of the workshop participants had attended the trunk show presentation the night prior. This resulted in countless ideas and the willingness to embrace challenges.

Time flew! The final hour together on Sunday was utilized as a short critique session. The consensus was that this was just as valuable to everyone as the class time working away independently with my circulating among the participants to provide feedback and support.

All things come to an end and after I quickly packed up it meant a short car ride to the bus depot for a 4:15 pm departure time. I claimed my seat in the waiting area where the late arrival of my bus brought with it news that we most likely would have to wait for a replacement bus from Calgary. This bus pulled out of the depot to the setting sun at 8:15 pm . What glorious colors and a magical time!

All in all a wonderful weekend and a little bit of adventure at the end – I was rewarded with the perfect vista from my bus window! Thanks, Cactus Quilt Guild of Medicine Hat! Keep in touch!

This entry was published on April 24, 2012 at 6:15 am. It’s filed under Art, Design, Landscape photography, Photography & Events, Special event, Studio / Workshop / Creative Space Challenge, Workshop Opportunity and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

2 thoughts on “Took the ‘Hound’ to ‘The Hat’… and back!

  1. Shelley Hamilton on said:

    Hi Anna…..I enjoy your your writing and pictures, keep up the good work. Just wanted to share that our boarder, a Chinese Language student, refers to the Greyhound bus as The Grey Dog. Love that name!


Share your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: