…calms my nerves and brings a short reprieve from an otherwise hectic time.
Last week I mentioned that I had started cutting up my black and white fabrics to create garden quilts – something my friend Susan inspired in me with her creations. Well, I am not done, but I have completed the black and white backs for the six quilts. I started out with 7″ squares of various commercial fabrics. After a while I realized that I needed a little spark of color to keep my interest up. Out came a meter of rainbow colored fabrics that I cut into 2 1/2″ strips for the inner border. I had enough black, white and grey prints to create solid borders for three quilts. I was determined not to go out and buy more fabrics. The whole purpose of this project is to use up as much commercial fabric from my stash as possible. In the end I spent several hours cutting random strips for various fabrics that were not wide enough for borders. I joined the strips and added pieced borders instead. The verdict is, I like both versions.
With the six backs completed I will set them aside as packing is taking up my time and requires all my concentration. The dyes and paints are packed and I am ready for the marbeling project Leona wants to try during Art Quilt Campus. Alison is planning to try discharge techniques.
The mountain of supplies is growing by the day, but this is to be expected, since this experience is more like an Open Studio session. Every participant will come with her own goals and together we will work out a direction for each person. I am getting excited! Only a week and half to go!
And one last reminder: Tonight at midnight the draw for SAQA Portfolio 19 will be made. You have a few more hours to reach a decision whether or not to join SAQA (or renew your membership!). Best of luck!