Let’s just start out with cuteness personified… Dr. Anni in action! The white coat is a great hit!
Today is our anniversary and it was time to reveal the finished project I have kept under wraps. Call it a “joined venture”: Colin and his local weaving group wove overshot panels in overshot patterns this year. I offered to join his panels into this coverlet and cushion. Originally I thought it would be a cinch to get this done but it took around 50 hours of making the widely different panels come together in a cohesive presentation. The 16th panel was perfect for the cushion. I also decided to embroider everyones names below their overshot panel rather than stitch on an impersonal label. The verdict: Colin really likes the coverlet! Phew! This was definitely worth the effort!
Speaking of effort: a last minute Christmas gift idea for Colin went over well! I had an old alpaca sweater with woven front panels that was much too big for me. After some deliberation and careful use of surgical steel seam rippers I separated the panels into two (they were decoratively stitched together in the front). Using another much loved vest as a model I used faux suede for the back and a rayon lining to finish this vest just in time to wrap and place under the tree! I still have the alpaca yarn which will be great for one of Colin’s future weaving projects
Here is my newest creation, also finished just in time for Christmas. I ordered the Chupa dress pattern during the Folkwear Black Friday sale and it took a full four weeks to reach me. I was so pleased when I held it in my hand on December 20th. What made me even happier was the fact that the plaid fabric I had in my stash for over 30 years turned out to be just enough for the short dress version in the small size. Double win and Merry Christmas to me: The dress fits to a T and it didn’t cost me a dime!
Earlier this month I wore a dress that fits comfortably but was a little longer than I liked. I changed the sleeves to 3/4 length and took about three inches off the bottom hem. I love to wear this over tights or leggings.
And then there was this silk dress Colin custom ordered for my birthday many years ago in Calgary. I had not worn this loose-fitting dress in years and decided to play around a bit. I cut off about 12″ from the bottom half, added a bit of elastic to the back and sleeves and I now have a new tunic to wear over tights or leggings. I can’t wait to wear it to a special event sometime soon!
Moving right along to several pairs of jeans that were nearly new but fit poorly. I became brave and tried my hand at altering these red jeans into a skirt. I added darts to the waistband which made the pockets bulge… but some tucks and button details made this a design feature!
Emboldened by this successful alteration outcome I tackled two more pair…
…complete with button details!
I am set with my updated wardrobe… looking forward to wearing them at a venue near you soon!
That’s the report from my studio for December 2018! I am currently searching my stash for fabrics I can utilize in future sewing projects… Winter cant be long enough for me!